2. Hometown: Chapman, KS
  3. Joined: 04.05.08
  4. Online: No
  5. Posts: 170
  6. Member ID: #437
  8. rss Fav News (0)
  9. heart gold l Fav Videos (0)
  10. video play My Videos (0)

I haven't posted here in a while, I am disappointed in carnuts.us and have stopped posting there, so I don't have a regular hangout, and so I thought I'd come here and just talk about my ride. It's a moderately modded 05 Mustang GT. I know Sigma and Art are aware of this cars history, so I will just touch the basics....

It is screaming yellow with custom PPG flat black graphics/stripes copied from vintage Mustang designs. It has a nice new paint job and new windows because of tornado damage. It has 20 x 10 American Racing Turbo Thrust wheels, Nexen tires, Ford racing cold air intake, Ford Racing X pipe, Cherry Bomb (disturbing the peace since 1968) Vortex style mufflers, Ford Racing Hurst short throw shifter with a T handle, a mild premium fuel reflash, yellow top Optima battery, and I think that is about it...

I have a polished stainless steel strut tower brace sitting on the living room floor and a C&L cold air intake tube/elbow just waiting to be installed. They were both bargains. I am looking at a different style exhaust, I don't like the Cherry Bombs, they drone at 65 and they just sound loud and not that cool, to my ear. I am looking at a system that puts the straight through mufflers just behind the x pipe, under the car, with a long tail pipe. This is the way we did it in the 70's.....

time morning Posted: 01/2/10 6:34 AM unknown
artandcolourartandcolour
  1. Rep: 139
  2. Hometown: Connecticut
  3. Joined: 03.24.08
  5. Posts: 812
  6. Member ID: #410
  8. rss Fav News (0)
hey Beav! happy holiday season to you! it's been quite a while for sure. your car sounds like it's really coming along! all the best to you.

time morning Posted: 01/3/10 5:20 AM unknown
AJAJ
  1. Rep: 121
  2. Hometown: Westminster
  5. Posts: 2162
  6. Member ID: #407
  8. rss Fav News (3)
  9. heart gold l Fav Videos (5)
  10. video play My Videos (33)
Sorry that something happened over there, but glad to see you again =) I like the way your car is, but I don't remember how it sounded and I know how exhuast can become droning at freeway speeds. Will this setup that your thinking of give some of that 70's sound? I mean it is a more modern motor, but if it can that be awesome, I love hearing mustangs with nice exhaust sounds, you know better than most of us how nice that V8 can sound. I don't know how HKS mufflers would sound on your car, but I do like how they sound on the IS350, they deliever a cleaner sound, less of the fart can ricer, and the IS350 I would guess is moving less but maybe similar gas flow amounts since they both are around 300hp. Maybe there is a vid online with a Mustang with HKS mufflers or such. Since right now I'm on stupid Dial up here in Iran it would take me forever to search for a good video.....
---------------------------------------

time night Posted: 01/3/10 9:12 PM unknown
beavbeav
  1. Rep: 101
  8. rss Fav News (0)

Dial up will drive you crazy.

:)

I am going for that 70's sound although I've read that my x pipe will lend it's own " modern" sound to the exhaust. The stock H pipe has a "purer" sound from what I gather, and no cross-over is supposedly even better sounding. I may get headers at some point.... I will search for a video later, I'm heading to a cousins funeral today....

I have been looking at trucks and motorcycles on the internet all week end.... I bid on a Harley Davidson 1957 Hummer..... Didn't get it.... :(

time night Posted: 01/3/10 9:17 PM unknown
beavbeav
  8. rss Fav News (0)

Quote: artandcolour

hey Beav! happy holiday season to you! it's been quite a while for sure. your car sounds like it's really coming along! all the best to you.

I am so glad that I could come here and find you guys even if this forum has hit a lull. I enjoy your wonderful chops, and art as much as ever. I hope you have a great year!

time morning Posted: 01/5/10 3:26 AM unknown
AJAJ
  8. rss Fav News (3)
lol, nice pund.

Yea, I think Pontiac toutes how the G8 exhaust sounds, I think it's a full dual exhaust with no cross over

Choosing good headers is sometimes a chore or a blessing. I mean since the mustang has so many options there's just so much to choose from. With the IS350 motor there is basically only one that I know of that actually makes and power out of the motor other than the one (can't even remember the name) other headers don't do squat. Maybe change the sound, but that's about it.

After you put on the strut bar let us know how it feels if any different. I remember a lot of people saying that the mustang is a very stiff chassis and if so I figure there would be less of any notice. But always looks nice under the hood =P

Have you thought of using any poly pushings or new end links on the sway bar? How is your sway bar setup? Is it the new style with pivot points or older style with solid rubber bushings?

time night Posted: 01/9/10 1:03 AM unknown
beavbeav
  8. rss Fav News (0)

This is what my rear suspension looks like, it is all stock, so is the front. Yes I have thought of poly bushings, I even had a Ford Racing suspension kit ordered at one time but it was back ordered and never came. My only concern is that I have very short sidewalls (35 profile)and I still have a nice ride, for the most part. I don't always drive the best roads and I don't want to ruin my ride quality for the sake of better cornering. I will probably go poly at some point, but I might need to go back to 18 inch rims for comfort sake....

I choose to put a tower strut on my car because I have always wanted a "Monte Carlo bar" on a Mustang, it was dirt cheap, and I thought it could possibly improve the handling, marginally,and not change the ride. I wanted more eye candy under my hood and this was functional. :)

If I buy headers, they will be shorty headers, probably from Ford Racing. There are a million different kinds/brands out there; I think I will go for headers that bolt on easily with no mods over pure performance.

I am having fun modding my Stang...

time evening Posted: 01/9/10 8:00 PM unknown
AJAJ
  8. rss Fav News (3)
Ahh very good point. I don't think I've ever gone under 50 for my tires, I year bigger rims with smaller profile tires make the wheels go out of alignment quicker, but I don't know if that's true.

Yea eye candy under the hood is always great when it's functional. I forget shorties are better at delivering midrange power and long headers are better at higher range? I always forget if it's like that or backwards. But aftermarket headers always look awesome. Modding a stang I feel is natural to any owner (and if they don't they probably are not a car person =P) just seems like it's the top american car to be modded, like a civic is to honda. So many parts and more affordable do to competition. Believe it or not I get happy seeing people mod their car I look forward to what under your hood will look like and the sound your engine.

time night Posted: 01/15/10 2:26 AM unknown
AJAJ
  8. rss Fav News (3)
Oh, now that I can see the pic.. lol back in the US btw. Before I didn't see the pic, is that a 3 link? I could have sworn the new one had a revised 4 link?

Home

General

Projects

MY RIDE

member Who's Online Viewing This Topic
member add 0 Members, member remove 0 Guests (based on activity over the past 5 minutes)

1. tag pencil 9 Replies
  2. tag zoom 261 Views